Online search engine giant Google on Tuesday launched a new keyboard app called ‘Gboard’ for Apple iOS users in India. The app lets users search and send information, GIFs, emojis and more — right from their keyboard.
“Searching and sending stuff from iPhone shouldn’t be that difficult with Gboard. Users can now search and send all kinds of things — restaurant info, flight times, news articles — right from keyboard. Anything users search on Google, you can search with ‘Gboard’,” said Rajan Patel, Principal Engineer, Google, in a statement.
Results appear as cards with the key information front and centre such as the phone number, ratings and hours.
With one tap, users can send the information to their friends and keep the conversation going, he noted.
“Gboard” also has “Glide Typing” which lets users type words by sliding your finger from key to key instead of tapping. Users can also search for the perfect GIF to show people how you’re really feeling.
In order to set-up the Gboard, you need to first download the app, then go to Settings>General> Keyboard. The app automatically prompts you on how to set-up, the first time you open it.
Once you install the app, open it and tap ‘Get Started’. Follow the below steps:
1. Tap on the “GET STARTED” button in the Gboard app
2. Tap “Add new keyboard”
3. Select “Gboard” from the Third-Party Keyboards section
4. Tap “Gboard” again
5. Enable “Allow Full Access” (by turning on the switch)
6. (Optional) You can change the priority of Gboard by tapping “Edit” and dragging it to the top of the list
7. Launch Gboard by bringing up the keyboard (in any app) and tapping on the Globe icon next to the space bar. You may have to tap on this icon a few times if you have several keyboards enabled.